Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Newt Gingrich Tri-partisan

I had the pleasure back in January to see Newt Gingrich in person.

As I listened to him speak on tri-partisanship, it was during this speech that my entire campaign strategy for my alderman's race changed.

Tri-partisanship is a partnership between Republicans, Democrats and Independents.

Obviously, I was a known Republican, running in a Democrat part of town during a supposedly "non-partisan" race.

Somehow, I needed to reach the Democrats and Independents in my district and let them know that I did wholly represent their values.

Mr. Gingrich encouraged us to find the issues that so many of us share and run on these issues. So that is exactly what I did.

Many in Kenosha, especially in my district were very concerned about the threatened movement of our fire stations. Something that I really believed was wrong and dangerous for Kenosha's fifth district.

That is just one example of how a known Republican can embrace the ideas that most Kenoshans feel strongly about.

It is great to see the Republican Party of Wisconsin embrace these very same ideals. The RPW has embraced the ideas that Newt Gingrich is preaching on.

We need to reach out on the issue of Voter ID. Consistently polls have shown that most Republicans, Democrats and Independents want to insure clean elections and want voter ID.

Gas prices is another thing we all share. Most polls show that most Americans believe the time has come to drill for our own oil and stop depending on terrorist nations to support our bad oil habits.

I know the Democrats do not like to hear it, but taxes are a great problem in this state. Taxes are too high.

I, for one, appreciate the RPW, Congressman Paul Ryan and Newt Gingrich for bringing new ideas to the table.

These ideas will bring about real change, not the pretend change that Obama is talking about.

If you want real change, it will take us all working together to force the people in Madison and Washington to finally start listening to us.

No comments: