From Citizens against Government Waste-
Here are some outrageous examples of pork that members of the House and Senate included in the Labor/HHS bill:
● “That $1,500,000 shall be for a non-competitive grant to the AFL-CIO Working for American Institute, which shall be awarded not later than 30 days after the date of enactment of this act: provided further, that $2,200,000 shall be for a non-competitive grant to the AFL-CIO Appalachian Council, Inc, for Job Corps career transition services, which shall be awarded not later than 30 days after the date of enactment of this act.” There is no member identified with this earmark.
● $1,000,000 for Bismarck State College for an instrumentation and control training program for the energy industry, inserted by Sens. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) and Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), and Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D-N.D.).
● $882,025 for 25 projects to organizations in
● $500,000 for the Charter School Development Foundation in Las Vegas for the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy, inserted by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Rep. Shelley Berkeley (D-Nev.).
● $400,000 for Jazz at Lincoln Center by Sens. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), and Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.). That amount more than doubled in the conference report from $150,000 in the House bill.
● $400,000 for
● $350,000 for the
● $320,000 for the American Jazz Museum, Kansas City, MO, for exhibits and educational programs, and an archival project, sponsored by Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.).
● $300,000 for the
● $250,000 for the
● $175,000 for the Young at Art Children’s Museum, in Davie for the Global Village Project, inserted by Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.).
● $150,000 for the Shedd Aquarium, Chicago, for exhibits and community outreach, sponsored by Reps. Melissa Bean (D-Ill.) and Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill).
● $150,000 for the Burpee Museum for educational programming and exhibits, sponsored by Rep. Don Manzullo (R-Ill.).
● $150,000 for College Park Aviation Museum in College Park, for exhibits and educational programs, sponsored by House Majority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.).
● $150,000 for the History Museum of East Ottertail County, Perham, Minnesota for exhibits and equipment, sponsored by Collin Peterson (D-Minn.).
● $150,000 for Samuel Dorsky Museum of Art, SUNY New Paltz, in New York for exhibits and programs, sponsored by Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.).