Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Super size zing

I know that some folks are overly worried about John McCain and his zingers, but I am beginning to wonder if it is other folks zingers that Barack Obama needs to worry about.

'Pay grade' Unartful Dodge

In 1948, they had Harry Truman and “The buck stops here!”

In 2008, they’ve got Barack Obama and it’s “above my pay grade.”

This is definitely not your grandfather’s Democratic Party.

Certainly not mine. My grandfather, Ray Futrell, was a lifelong FDR Democrat, the kind who would proudly rather vote for a wife-beating, syphilitic drunkard than for a Republican. In fact, he would find the previous sentence entirely redundant.

My grandfather helped push Patton’s tanks across Europe, and one reason for my grandfather’s unshakable party loyalty was his belief that Harry Truman saved his life by dropping the A-bombs on Japan.

If Truman hadn’t made the call - if he’d demurred that such a profound life-and-death decision was “above my pay grade” - my grandfather believed that he and untold thousands of Americans would have died invading the Japanese mainland.

I miss my grandfather, but I’m also glad that he isn’t around to witness the tragic descent of his beloved Democratic Party.

read the whole this...

My favorite line from the article-

With all due respect, Sen. Obama, being president is above your pay grade. And the voters are starting to figure that out.


Great line!

No comments: